about shop patterns projects printables extras sponsorship wild olive twitter flickr pinterest subscribe

printable // hexagon number puzzle

Printable Hexagon Puzzle


When I was little, my grandparents had a puzzle that was also sort of a game. It was called "Drive Ya Nuts" because it looked like hex nuts. As in, hexagons. Which happen to be my favorite shape.

I was reminded of that game recently, and thought it might be fun to make a printable version. In rainbow colors of course!

The goal of the puzzle is to fit all of the pieces into the circle frame (which also happens to form a traditional hexagon flower), with all of the numbers matching up on the sides where they touch. The idea is simple, but it's actually quite tricky to get right.


Printable Hexagon Puzzle

Print the pages on card stock and cut out the hexagons and circle frame. The frame is optional, because you can figure out the formation without it. But it's kind of cute and reminds me of the game at Nanny & Papa's house.

Printable Hexagon Puzzle

Start laying down the pieces and matching up the numbers. I usually begin in the middle and then add them one by one around the sides. Of course, you need to make sure that each touching side matches.

Printable Hexagon Puzzle

In this case, the 2 and the 4 on the green hexagon match up with the blue and the pink.

Printable Hexagon Puzzle

Unfortunately, after that, none of the pieces would fit. Time to start again!

Printable Hexagon Puzzle
Printable Hexagon Puzzle

You could make this into a family challenge by adding magnets to the back of the pieces and putting them on your fridge. Then everyone can try to solve the puzzle as they pass by!

Printable Hexagon Puzzle

And although I'm not showing off the correct solution here (you want a challenge, right?), it is possible to fit all of the hexagons with matching numbers. And no, they won't be in color order because that would be too easy!

Good luck!

4 comments:

  1. this looks fun an I am busy making for a charity fund raiser at the moment am I allowed to make some of these for the charity please.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mollie! My nine year old son will LOVE trying to solve this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now I'm going to have to solve this ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had this exact same game when I was young. What a great idea to make it printable. I don't think the game is available anymore.

    ReplyDelete

I often reply to comments in the comments...check back if you have a question!